Thursday, June 14, 2007

Paris Hilton’s Conversion

It hasn’t been big news, but Paris Hilton seems to have found God in prison. On June 10 she had a telephone interview with Barbara Walters from jail. In that interview, Hilton told Walters,
“I’m not the same person I was. I used to act dumb. It was an act. I am 26-years-old, and that act is no longer cute. It is not who I am, nor do I want to be that person for the young girls who looked up to me. I know now that I can make a difference, that I have the power to do that. I have been thinking that I want to do different things when I am out of here. I have become much more spiritual. God has given me this new chance.”

Who knows whether this was a true conversion, but I suspect God did speak clearly to her. Often when we are at a low point in life, we are more open to listening to that still, small voice of God. We are more receptive to what God has to tell us when the only place we have to go is up. Many people find God in prison, because you can’t get much lower than that.

Let us hope that this is not some momentary awakening, and when all this is over, will return to her old ways. Let us pray that Hilton can find purpose in life, and will become a positive role model rather than an example of shallowness and self-centered living. She was speculating with Walters that she might want to dedicate her life to breast cancer or multiple-sclerosis causes since both of her grandmothers had those diseases. Pray that she does turn her life around and that her life becomes a powerful witness to the power of God.

I also pray that if you are at a low point in your life, you will seek God and listen for that still, small voice calling to you to turn to God and follow him. Maybe you aren’t incarcerated, but you can still be imprisoned by something.

No comments: