Monday, May 3, 2010

Distracted Driving

I was driving on a street recently, and I saw a pickup truck approaching me from the opposite direction. As he got closer, he began to move into my lane. It appeared he had his head down, and I blew my horn to alert him. He lurched back into his lane and we passed without incident. However, that reminded me of the dangers of driving while distracted.

I don’t know if he was texting, fiddling with the radio, putting a drink back into its cupholder, or dialing his cell phone. What I do know is that if I hadn’t blown my horn and alerted him to the fact that he was drifting into my lane, there very well might have been a head-on collision.

I implore you – even beg you – don’t drive while distracted. Texting while attempting to drive is incredibly dangerous. If you drive impaired or distracted, that shows a callous disregard for human life – including your own. You can’t multitask while driving. Driving requires your full attention.

I also encourage you to drive defensively, and watch for anything that might pose a danger. I do not hesitate to blow my horn if there is even a hint of a possible problem. I may think somebody sees me coming, but they may not. I may think somebody is paying attention, but they might not be. So what if another driver thinks I’m a jerk for blowing my horn at him. At least I’m an alive jerk!

No comments: