Friday, May 4, 2007

Shock Jock Part II

I recently read that the disgraced shock jock Don Imus is suing his former employer, CBS, for breach of contract. Apparently there is a clause in his contract that says he is supposed to be irreverent and controversial, among other things (Poughkeepsie Journal, May 4, 2007). It appears that Imus was fulfilling his contractual obligations, and got fired for doing what he was supposed to be doing.

Now I have absolutely no sympathy for Imus, but I also have no sympathy or respect for CBS, who encouraged such disgusting behavior on the part of Imus. He was a money-maker for CBS, which makes me seriously question the taste of millions of listeners who tuned in regularly. If nobody tuned in, Imus would have been quickly off the air. As I said in an earlier posting, Imus catered to our baser instincts, and it is a sad commentary on the American people.
In that earlier posting, I complained that while Imus’ coarse insults got him rightfully fired, Rosie gets away with all sorts of similar verbal abuse against those with whom she disagrees. As I was writing that blog, I didn’t realize that Rosie was in the process of leaving “The View” for which I am grateful. Another bigoted loudmouth off the air. Maybe we’re making some progress

No comments: