Thursday, August 9, 2007

Faith

People without faith in God marvel at those who do, believing they themselves have no faith. Yet everybody has faith of some kind. For example, some people have a strong faith in science, that it has all the correct answers. We all put our faith on the line when we go out of the house or get on an airplane, believing that we will arrive safely at our destination despite the risks involved.

I used to work with a guy who had a Ph.D. in chemistry. One time when we were having lunch together, he expressed astonishment about my faith in God. He just couldn’t imagine faith in God who is unseen, unproven scientifically, and somewhat unknowable to the finite human mind.

I asked him, “Do you believe in evolution?” He said he did.

I continued, “You buy into evolution even though the fossil record is incomplete and inconclusive?” Again he replied in the affirmative.

I asked him, “You believe despite no transitional species having been found?” Again, he said “yes.”

I said to him, “Then you have faith that is stronger than mine. You believe firmly in an unproven theory with sketchy evidence that even goes against the Second Law of Thermodynamics. I look at creation and I see the work of a Master Designer, of marvelous engineering and design, of order not chaos. I call that Designer God.”

He had no reply.

No comments: