Friday, September 28, 2007

Children’s Health Care

I admit I may not know all the details, so I am reacting to what I heard in the news. Since the news is filtered and managed, I never know whether I’m getting the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Nevertheless, assuming what I’ve heard is essentially correct, I am livid. Apparently President Bush plans to veto a bill expanding poorer children’s health care benefits. As I understand it, this isn’t even a new program but an expansion of an existing one. Having approximately 45 million people without health insurance is bad enough for the world’s richest country, but Bush vetoing a relatively modest program to protect our children is absurd.

We are a country that views itself as fair, just, and compassionate. We send billions of dollars overseas in aid, we spend billions to fight a war in Iraq that never should have taken place, we are spending billions to rebuild Iraq while our own infrastructure continues to crumble, and we spend billions on welfare supporting people perfectly able to work. But Bush won’t help poor children in his own country. What is wrong with this picture?

I am writing this, not only to vent, but to encourage you to email President Bush and respectfully tell him that you support the expanded health care for poor children. We have to get this country on the right tract, so we must make our politicians accountable. Yes, he isn’t running for re-election, but he should care enough about what people think to take what we say into consideration.

In addition, pray for this country. We need it.

No comments: