Monday, May 4, 2009

Bigger Isn’t Better

Some are looking back at the “Good Old Days” when big American cars ruled the road. More recently, behemoth SUVs dominated our roads, until high gas prices forced people to reconsider their transportation needs. Some people stretched themselves financially (with the help of unscrupulous lending institutions) and bought 4,000 and 5,000 square foot houses they couldn’t afford and didn’t need. Who needs that kind of space? When it became apparent that many of these people couldn’t pay those enormous mortgages, the banking industry collapsed.

Why do Americans think that bigger is better? I’m hoping we are learning that bigger is more wasteful, more expensive, and more selfish. What do I mean by selfish? Think of those SUVs. Have you ever driven behind one or tried to pull out of a parking space beside one? Then you know what I mean.

I’m not a tree-hugger, but I do believe in living within your means, not polluting, not using natural resources wastefully, and being considerate of your neighbor. I believe those are the moral and ethical things to do. I believe we must change our ways now so that when the time comes that we are forced to do so, it won’t be so traumatic or sudden. Those gas prices will go back up. Home heating will become more expensive. Let’s be smart and live responsibly.

No comments: