Friday, October 23, 2009

Identity Theft

After dealing with banks during my business career and reading about their lack of good judgment in the newspapers, I don’t have a lot of respect for them. This is reinforced by what they send me in the mail.

Identity theft is a serious problem, and the banks do all they can to enable it. I receive preprinted checks from the bank that my credit card is affiliated with. If I don’t shred those checks, I might be a victim of identity theft. Banks send me application forms with my name and address printed on them. If I don’t shred them, somebody else could apply for a credit card or line of credit in my name.

I don’t know why banks do this when there is such a risk. I guess they just don’t care about their customers (or potential customers). In addition to their incredible lack of judgment that we’re all familiar with, they put people at risk for identity theft because, I believe, the large banks are morally and ethically bankrupt.

I say that because the Bible teaches us to love our neighbor as ourselves, and do unto others as you would want them to do unto you. I believe those universal principles apply to individuals, companies, and governments. When banks flagrantly disregard the risks they are causing to people, I believe they are breaking God’s law (not that they care, but we should care).

No comments: